Steve provides research, analysis, insight and commentary on topical issues and events.
He lives in New Zealand and has been working at FastTrack Software for 10 years as a cyber security analyst and technical writer.
How-to: Use Power BI with Admin By Request Auditlog
Admin By Request offers a free REST API so that you can get the necessary data into your own business analytics software. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how use Microsoft’s Power BI with the Admin By Request Auditlog.
There are four tasks involved:
1. Task A: Enable and Copy API Key
2. Task B: Copy required URL from Resources
3. Task C: Start Power BI and get Web Data
4. Task D: Fill Out the Form
Task A: Enable and Copy API Key
1. In the Admin By Request user portal, navigate to menu Settings > Windows Settings:
2. From the left-hand side menu, select option Privacy (not the PRIVACY tab at the top):
3. Click the API ACCESS tab at the top:
4. Set API access to ON and copy the API Key to the clipboard using the copy to clipboard button to the right of the API Key:
NOTE: The API Key is blacked out in these examples.
5. Paste the API Key into notepad (or similar) to be retrieved later, so that it is not overwritten in Task B.
Task B: Copy required URL from Resources
2. From the list of resources, copy the URL you want to work with using the copy to clipboard button to the right of the URL:
NOTE: For this example, we want to return an array of auditlog entries.
IMPORTANT: The URL depends on your datacentre. In this example we are using data centre 1, so see dc1api in the URL. You may see dc2api, etc.
Task C: Start Power BI and get Web Data
1. Launch Microsoft Power BI and select the Get Data button from the ribbon:
2. From the Get Data dialogue box that appears, navigate to the Other tab in the left-hand menu, select Web and click Connect:
Task D: Fill Out the Form
1. In the From Web dialogue box that appears, change from Basic to Advanced:
NOTE: This will change the appearance of the dialogue box.
2. Past the URL that you want to work with (copied from Resources in Task B) into the URL parts input field. The URL will automatically appear in the URL preview box as well.
3. In the HTTP request header parameters field, manually type apikey and then retrieve the API Key copied during Task A.
4. Paste this key into the input box to the right of apikey and click OK:
The connection to Admin By Request is now made and you are ready to work with the Auditlog data. Easy as pie!